Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Yearning

"I can’t tell you how much I yearn for a church where the leadership doesn’t lord it over the flock, but is part of the flock themselves; where the corrupting influence of money and power are taken away; where we all have a right to speak up and question if something is taught that contradicts the Bible; where each person is free to be what God is growing them to be."

I wrote these words almost one year ago. They still express the deep longing of my soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this from you or someone else? It's reminiscent of Matthew 23:9.

Brent said...

I wrote them about a year ago after reading an article written by a woman whose spiritual journey closely resembled our own.

Yes, I specifically had Jesus' teachings on leadership in mind when I wrote this. I also had in mind the teachings and example of both Peter and Paul as they attempted to implement what Jesus taught. Unfortuantely the church turned away from Jesus and the apostle's teaching on leadership at a very early stage. Perhaps they weren't deemed realistic enought. More likely, they didn't leave room for us to build the personal kindgoms that our Self nature craves.