Monday, September 24, 2007

Sign me up

"I will not quarrel with you about my opinions; only see that your heart is right toward God, that you know and love the Lord Jesus Christ; that you love your neighbor, and walk as your Master walked, and I desire no more. I am sick of opinions; am weary to bear them; my soul loathes this frosty food. Give me solid and substantial religion; give me a humble, gentle lover of God and man; a man full of mercy and good faith, without partiality and without hypocrisy; a man laying himself out in the work of faith, the patience of hope, the labor of love. Let my soul be with these Christians wheresoever they are, and whatsoever opinion they are of."

- John Wesley


Amen. I can so relate. Sometimes however, we are so convinced of the truth of our opinions that we do not realize that is what they are. Notice how Wesley calls our attention to love, mercy, faith and humility. What fruit do our opinions produce?

2 comments:

Alan Knox said...

Brent,

I've seen this quote a few times now, and I like it more and more every time I see it. Thank you!

-Alan

Brent said...

Hey Alan,

Nice of you to drop by and leave a comment. I read that quote while reading the Anabaptist series at www.daveblackonline.com. Its an excellent series. When studying Church history I always identified most with the Anabaptists, but never really gave it a lot of thought.