Monday, November 12, 2007

If I Were to Write a Book

While I am finding it hard to write about the past, I am praying for God's inspiration to write about the message he has given me - the message that will define the future. A while ago I made a post in which I listed possible chapter headings if I ever wrote a book. As I actually set down to write notes for each chapter I realized that I first needed to explore what the Kingdom of God really is before I can contrast it with the kingdoms we often find ourselves creating. Below are the current chapter headings. I've got at least some notes written for each section and Lord willing, will actually write this message down.

WHOSE KINGDOM ARE WE BUILDING?

INTRODUCTION - An Awakening

I. THE KINGDOM OF GOD

1. The Tyranny of Self
2. The Kingdom Within
3. The Kingdom in Community
4. The Kingdom in the World
5. Being vs. Believing, Knowing or Doing

II. BUILDING THE KINGDOM

6. Church Growth - Our Metric of Success
7. Teaching vs Discipleship
8. Religious Obligation vs Spiritual Desire

III. AN HONEST LOOK

9. Has the Bible Become an Idol?
10. Leadership and the Church
11. Money and the Church
12. Church as a Business vs. Church as the Body of Christ

IV. BREAKING FREE

13. Looking at the Pharasee in the Mirror
14. Simply Be

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Money and the Church"; "Church as a Business"

You know there's a whole slew of products and services marketed toward churches in exactly this attitude?

Anyways, I'll read your book whenever it's ready.

Brent said...

True. There is also a whole industry marketing trinkets to the Christian subculture.

As an aside, I was listening to a Christian radio station the other day and one of the advertisers was a divorce lawyer. A divorce lawyer with advertising targeting Christians? Something seems wrong with that picture. I'm sure Jesus could tell me what it is.