Monday, April 30, 2007

Whose Kingdom are We Building?

I have come to realize that everything God has taught me over the past two years is tied together by a single theme and composes a single message. It is this message that has overthrown my spiritual worldview and shaken me to the core. All things had to be re-evaluated in light of this message. A torrent of emotion has raged in me and is passing through me, and would have destroyed me but for the grace of God.

This message was God's answer to a series of questions I had asked in prayer. I initially asked why our church wasn't growing and hadn't grown in years. I prayed for His kingdom and His will, and prayed that my own will and His would be one. I expected that having offered my will so completely and having prayerfully beseeched him on behalf of His own kingdom, that God would tell me some great thing that I could go do in order to build his kingdom and grow the church. Instead he took me into the biggest spritual storm of my life.

I have considered writing about this many times, but have refrained from doing so. Considering the waves of emotion flowing through me I didn't think I could present the message with the proper balance of boldness and love it required. I also didn't feel God compelling me to do so. I needed to fully internalize the message myself before preaching it to others, lest I transfer my burden to them instead of being changed myself.

If I were to write that book however, it would be titled "Whose Kingdom are We Building?" Below are the chapters it would contain.

Church Growth or Church Growth - our metric of success

Teaching vs. Discipling

Being vs. Knowing, Believing or Doing


Leadership and the Church

Money and the Church

Church as a Business vs. Church as the Body of Christ


Religious Obligation vs. Spiritual Desire

Looking a Pharasee in the Mirror

Do We Really Believe the Bible is God's Word?


The Tale of Two Kingdoms

Simply Be

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get to writing. :)