Friday, June 29, 2007

A Dream

I'm not one who normally tries to interpret dreams. I'm not particulary adept at recognizing and interpretting symbols, and I doubt whether most dreams have a meaning anyway. Lately however, my wife has been having what she describes as "weird dreams." When she tells them to me however I immediately see a clear spiritual message to us and the church at large, that she herself did not see. Below is one such dream. I'll resist the temptation of telling you what I think it means. What do you think?

Our pastor called a leader’s meeting at a nice hotel. My wife did not want to go, but she went because it was important to me. The meeting was held in the restaurant at the top of the hotel. While we were discussing church business, my wife noticed a large group of people had gathered on the balcony outside and were throwing themselves off the building to their death. She was distraught and tried to get us to help, but all the church leaders (including myself) simply looked the other way and continued the meeting.

Finally my wife went out to the balcony to try to get the people to stop jumping off the building. They explained that were killing themselves because no one loved them. My wife insisted that she loved them and she was able to save many of them from committing suicide.

She returned to the leaders meeting in time to hear the pastor invite us all to go skinny dipping. Everyone was eager to go, but my wife freaked out and tried to get everyone to see what a sin that would be – but no one listened. Finally as she continued making a scene the pastor’s wife took her aside and explained that it was Biblical quoting a single word from a verse to make her point. Despite all her protests, my wife was unable to stop us.

Just then she realized that our son was not with her. She searched everywhere for him but could not find him. Finally she forced me to leave the leaders meeting and go look for him. Not finding him, I gave up and returned to the leaders meeting (yes, I’m not the hero of this dream). She then continued frantically looking for him until one of the people she had saved on the balcony came and asked her what was wrong. When she explained that her son was lost, all the people she had saved banded together and hundreds of people searched for him. Our son was found, all alone and crying in a corner. Then she awoke.

No comments: